Bring more colourful birds, such as Goldfinches and Siskins to your garden, with Gardman Nyjer Seed.
Rich in oils, Nyjer seeds are small in size and are best fed through a specialist Nyjer Seed Feeder to prevent seed spilling out from the feeder and being wasted. You can also scatter seeds on to a bird table.
Our tips for encouraging more birds to visit your garden:
- Routinely refill feeders in the early morning where possible, so that your garden is a consistent option for local birds to find food as they look to replace energy lost overnight.
- Position bird feeding areas around 2m from the closest area of safe cover in your garden. This ensures that your feeders are visible to passing birds while still allowing them to feel safe while eating, as they have a close by area to retreat to.
- When birds are visiting your feeder, continue to provide food throughout the year. This will ensure that visiting your garden becomes habit and routine for local birds and encourage lots of repeat visits.
- If you are new to feeding birds in your garden, please be aware that it can take some time for birds to start using a new feeder - stick with it!
- Consider providing fresh, clean drinking water for visiting birds, positioned close to feeders. Access to a safe source of drinking water can be the difference between life and death for wild animals, particularly through the Summer and Winter months when regular sources of water may become inaccessible due to drying out or freezing very suddenly. Water can be provided in a bird bath or through a Wild Bird Water Drinker with a self flushing system.
- Help to protect your local bird population by taking steps to reduce the risk of transmission of disease between visiting birds. Check that food in feeders is both fresh and dry each morning, removing any wet food you find as wet food can harbour harmful bacteria. Feeders and areas in your garden where birds gather should be cleaned on a regular basis with a bird friendly cleaning product, such as Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe Bird Disinfectant.
Please be aware that this product contains nuts. Store in a cool, dry place.