The Gardman Flip Top Peanut Feeder is a durable, easy to use bird feeder, designed for safe feeding of peanuts to wild birds.
The flip lid is a UV stabilized plastic that makes feeding Peanuts really simple. The medium gauge, coated steel mesh body of this feeder protects the Peanuts from squirrel and rodent attack. The hanging loop is large and allows you to hang the feeder anywhere you like.
Peanuts should only be fed from a wire mesh feeder, and never from the ground or a bird table. Providing peanuts in a feeder means that they must be broken into smaller pieces to fit through the fine mesh and prevents the risk of younger birds and fledglings from choking on whole peanuts.
To encourage visiting birds to use this feeder, position is around 2m away from the closest area of safe cover. This will make sure that your feeder is visible to passing birds, while still offering a feeling of security to birds as they eat, as a safe area to hide is closeby.
Our top tips for encouraging more birds to visit your garden:
- Consider providing clean, fresh drinking water alongside feeders. You can use a bird bath or a hanging Wild Bird Water Drinker to dispense the water. Providing a source of safe water not only encourages birds to spend more time in your garden, but also helps your local birds to survive, particularly through the Summer and Winter months, when other sources of water can dry up or freeze over and become inaccessible.
- If birds are visiting your feeders, consider continuing to provide food throughout the year. If local birds recognise your garden as a reliable source of food, they will be more likely to be make a habit of visiting you. Additionally, feeding throughout the year will aid your local wild bird population in the event of temporary food shortages, which can occur in any season.
- If you are new to feeding birds, please note that it may take some time before birds start to use your feeder.
- Refill feeders in the early morning, to ensure that there is always food available when birds are looking to eat to replace energy lost through the night.
- Protect your local bird population by helping to reduce the spread of disease between different birds. All food available to the birds should be fresh and dry; wet food should be discarded on a daily basis, as it can harbour harmful bacteria. Feeders and other areas where birds may gather within your garden, such as bird baths, should be cleaned on a regular basis, using a bird safe cleaning product such as Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe Bird Disinfectant.
Approximate Height: 20cm. Holds approximately 510g peanuts.
It is important to take steps to ensure that feeders are kept clean to help to protect local birds from spreading disease between themselves. The food available to birds should be fresh and dry, with any wet food discarded on a daily basis. Wet or damp food can harbour harmful bacteria. Feeders and other areas where birds may gather in your garden, such as bird baths, should be cleaned on a regular basis, using a cleaning product that is safe for use around birds. We recommend Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe Bird Disinfectant.