To encourage visiting birds to use feeders in your garden, position around 2m away from the closest area of safe cover. This will make sure that your feeder is visible to passing birds, while still offering a feeling of security to birds as they eat, as a safe area to hide is close-by. Our Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are of the highest quality as they are harvested at a very precise time of the year to produce the maximum oil content.
Generally sourced from Europe, Johnson & Jeff ensure that the seeds are not harvested late and therefore have the correct level of acidity. Seeds which are harvested too early will not have a complete seed within the shell, and so this careful timing is imperative in producing a seed of maximal quality.
The seeds are screened and graded with only the best reaching sale through Pet Connection, and are gently rinsed in vegetable oil to add an attractive sheen for the birds and for high nutrient absorption as the birds remove the shells to enjoy the tasty interior.
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are a valuable and nutritious part of the diet of many species of wild bird and contain Calcium, B-Vitamins, Iron, Vitamin E and Potassium. With more nutrition and calories in every bite than striped sunflower seeds, black oil seeds are 'meatier', have a higher oil content and have thinner shells so are easier for smaller birds to crack open and consume.
Our top tips for encouraging more birds to visit your garden:
- Consider providing clean, fresh drinking water alongside feeders. You can use a bird bath or a hanging Wild Bird Water Drinker to dispense the water. Providing a source of safe water not only encourages birds to spend more time in your garden, but also helps your local birds to survive, particularly through the Summer and Winter months, when other sources of water can dry up or freeze over and become inaccessible.
- If birds are visiting your feeders, consider continuing to provide food throughout the year. If local birds recognise your garden as a reliable source of food, they will be more likely to be make a habit of visiting you. Additionally, feeding throughout the year will aid your local wild bird population in the event of temporary food shortages, which can occur in any season.
- If you are new to feeding birds, please note that it may take some time before birds start to use your feeder.
- Refill feeders in the early morning, to ensure that there is always food available when birds are looking to eat to replace energy lost through the night.
- Protect your local bird population by helping to reduce the spread of disease between different birds. All food available to the birds should be fresh and dry; wet food should be discarded on a daily basis, as it can harbour harmful bacteria. Feeders and other areas where birds may gather within your garden, such as bird baths, should be cleaned on a regular basis, using a bird safe cleaning product such as Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe Bird Disinfectant.
100% Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
It is important to take steps to ensure that feeders are kept clean to help to protect local birds from spreading disease between themselves. The food available to birds should be fresh and dry, with any wet food discarded on a daily basis. Wet or damp food can harbour harmful bacteria. Feeders and other areas where birds may gather in your garden, such as bird baths, should be cleaned on a regular basis, using a cleaning product that is safe for use around birds. We recommend Johnson's Clean 'n' Safe Bird Disinfectant.